Monday, August 16, 2010

400M PR 4min 58sec




Howdy friends! I missed you :) I feel like I don't have a whole lot to tell you... But, I'm sure once I get started I will find plenty to blah blah blog about.

The boot is officially retired unless of course I decide to do some sort of hiking adventure, but I just don't have that on the docket so I think we're all safe...well I am...for now.

This past week I discovered that I can walk a 400 meter
loop (one lap around the track) in 4 minutes 58 seconds!!! This is exciting and also deflating. I am happy to be walking sans boot and I am sad that I am being lapped multiple times by the kids at the track. There has been some swelling in the ankle region as I push myself more, but that seems to be subsiding.



For the record, this guy is Jeremy Wariner and he is a Track and Field gold medalist. He can go around the track 5-6 times in the time I go 400m. His time in Indianapolis this past weekend was 44.67 secs!


I still walk with a limp and anytime I have been OFF of my foot for a bit and I get up to go again it feels like I am starting over! First thing in the morning is THE WORST!!! I feel like a gremlin got in there in the middle of the night and tightened it up another inch! Once I get moving I do pretty O.K. but sometimes (like when I'm trying for my PR {personal record} in the 400m) I'm feeling so good and then I think, "I bet I could jog," and then say I jog about ten steps and THEN it hurts again and I'm sad and depressed again and I think I'm never gonna be normal again... :(

Who am I kidding, normal? Again? .....Well, you know what I mean :)


SIDE NOTE RE: A FELLOW ACHILLES TENDON RUPTURER:
So, ther
e is a fresh new ATR out there and my heart just breaks for him. His name is John Orozco and he is a great young gymnast. This weekend was the Visa Championships in Hartford Connecticut. This competition qualifies athletes to Worlds which is generally a preview of the Olympics. I am so sad for John, but have great hope that his determination and - let's face it - his youth will have him back in time for LONDON 2012!!! Fingers Crossed.

*By the way, John's gymnastics was a lot more impressive than my round-off back handspring back tuck...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
BACK TO ME, "CUZ THAT'S JUST THE WAY I AM:

Stay tuned for my new PR in the 400, I hope to knock off a few seconds this evening and I'll keep you posted...as long as it's a success ;P

Nine days until the next appointment and I'll hopefully have an idea when PT
(physical therapy) can start.




Ba da ba da ba da that's all folks!






Since there is no more boot there are really no more adventures of where the boot has been. I do have this one last pic of the boot about to go to sea :)
The Boot on Lake Michigan along the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Shoreline about to be happily sent to Davy Jones Locker ;)

Have a great day! Keep on keepin' on!


5 comments:

  1. Woot woot to you! I can not believ you are bootless...I just moved into mine on Thursday and two days later still not weight bearing, almost 8 weeks post.

    How soon after the injury and recovery did you feel strong enough to wb?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on graduating to the boot. Looking back at the blog it looks like I was PWB around 4 weeks post op. BUT don't let that fool you when I say partial I MEAN PARTIALLY PARTIAL, like no more than 20lbs of pressure (I checked it on the scale). It stayed that way for a couple of weeks. It's scary! I would just do a little bit everyday and then have to ice and elevate. I used both crutches at the start of PWB and kept that up for a couple of weeks. I was FWB around 8 weeks, but don't let that fool you. I would still use the crutches here and there because I would get tired and sore VERY quickly, it is not as if I just threw out the crutches and started skipping around. As a matter of fact I am still not skipping or jumping or even standing on my toes I am only walking on flat even surfaces and you will be too VERY SOON! Just do a little at a time!!! Hang in there girl, we are going to get through this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Julie...my name is Kat Baumann and Dana Stefko forwarded me your blog. I ruptured my achilles on 8/23/10 and had surgery 8/24/10 while doing Krav Maga (form of self defense/martial arts) and it has been hell since. Yea, I have graduated into the boot yesterday after stitches were removed. I am not a happy camper and pray for a less emotional and speedy recovery. Doesn't look it is going to be any time soon. I look forward to reading your blog in its entirety.

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat! I am so sorry that you have to go through this! It just plain sucks!!! I hope you find the blog a comfort even when I wasn't super positive :-/ I hope you at least feel that you can relate and that you're not alone. I'm due for a new blog post but have been less bed ridden and more preoccupied with responsibilities. The fam sees that I am walking and just figure I'm back to 100% so I find myself tying to keep up...

    Who did your surgery? (Are you in the Metro Detroit area)? The time on the crutches is long and painful and frustrating. I hope you have good helpers :) And if not, I hope you have a full liquor cabinet..just kidding. Going to the gym and working on other things physically really helped me to cope (sometimes it was a magnifying glass on my limitations, but mostly the physical activity kept me happy and moving forward).

    I'll be here if you ever want to chat! Hang in there friend :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete