Thursday, July 8, 2010

NWB -> PWB -> FWB! It Could be Worse

For those of you out there who have had your fun with foot, ankle, knee or leg injury, these little abbreviations may evoke a strong emotional response. Having graduated from a NWB to a PWB makes me swell with pride and hope for one day being FWB!!!



The boot continues it's travels (my brother informs me that the boot is the new Traveling Gnome) Here it is at Tim Horton's




Late last night I came across a blog called Achilles Tendon Rupture Recovery http://achillesblog.com/dennis/ that I found very inspiring. I was searching for my goal and trying to determine what was realistic. I was originally thinking about and an event in February, something easy like a 5K or a 10K, primarily due to the way my doctors have waggled their fingers in my face and chanted things like, "We know patients like you," and "If you don't listen you will re-rupture," and "you're very bouncy, that could be a problem." At first I was DEFENSIVE... "YOU DON"T KNOW ME!!!" As I reflected (alone in my room playing Ben Folds "You Don't Know Me" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRgQns-TJGM on my Ipod, but ultimately realizing that in fact they DID know me and that I had better be a good girl and follow the rules!

Lemme back up for a minute and reveal the NWB, PWB and FWB... NWB = Non Weight Bearing. I was completely NWB for the first month post op. When I went in for the BOOT CRANK, four weeks post op, I was given permission to be PWB (Partial Weight Bearing). PROGRESS!!! :) I can put weight on my heal, but not so much on my toes. I have been using the scale to see how many pounds of pressure I can tolerate and I started at about 27lbs and over the past two weeks have slowly made it close to 60lbs of pressure!!! If you are one of my mother hens out there DON"T WORRY!!! I only apply pressure until I hear the doctors voices in my head! Sometimes I think I am taking this W-A-Y T-O S-L-O-W, but then I see the pointing, wagging finger in my face and I hear the doctor's words and I feel the intense pain and I remember, this is a ROAD to recovery, a JOURNEY... A marathon and not a sprint, so to speak. I will reach the finish line and be Full Weight Bearing before you or I know it!

So, I found this wonderful little (actually quite large and involved) website and I read about a guy who was jogging by his 6 month ATR (achilles tendon rupture) anniversary!!! I CAN DO THAT!!! (I say that bouncing and clapping, but from a seated position)! I am so inspired and excited and full of good mojo thanks to this post. I can tell I am making some of you uncomfortable. I can hear you thinking, "don't get your hopes up," and "not everyone heals the same," and "be careful." Thank you for your concern, it is duly noted and you and that little doubt voice that lives in my head have some very mature and important points to make, BUT THIS IS MY NEW GOAL!!! Remember Kalin Lucas and his goal to recover and to win an NCAA Championship??? http://julieisaheal.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-good-company-with-david-beckham-and.html

Well,
There is a 5K in Lake Orion on the weekend of my 6 month ATR anniversary! It's my NCAA Championships!! Well at least it's my road to the playoffs!!! I may have to walk some hills, I may limp, but I want to do this!!!

It could be worse! I could be here NOT talking about what's next. Not seeing progress. I definitely have moments throughout the day when I am SO FURIOUS AND FRUSTRATED with my limitations, but ultimately I know this is just a hiccup, a sneeze really on the grand spectrum of life's adventures.

The reason this is SOOO exciting is because I had originally had thought that February was going to be my goal and here's why... I am under the impression - because the Doctor said the words - that I should expect to be "normal" by 6 months. In my mind that meant that Thanksgiving would be the START of any kind of training, but in fact once I start therapy, which is more like SEPTEMBER, I will be "training" to put one foot in front of the other!!! Can you feel the excitement?

Here is what I know and that I am choosing to ignore right now: I know that the FWB is going to hurt like a !#%!@#$%^&* (i don't even know what cuss word that is, probably all of them), I know that there are going to be posts here that are NOT as happy and fun as this exciting and hopeful post. I know rehab is going to suck :(
I also know that it's gonna make me better and! And I just can't stop being excited right now!!!

In the meantime, the boot is still gettin around :)




Here we are at the beach...











and airing out poolside at Michigan's Adventure.


1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear your story...we always think things like this only happen to us. I am 5 weeks post op and FWB, but always worried that things won't progress and any pain means something bad. Separately, at my 5 week appointment we found my incision was draining - infected so now I am taking Ceflaxen. Did anyone out there deal with infection after sutures closed and dissolved?

    Thanks for listening,
    Brian

    ReplyDelete