Thursday, October 17, 2013

It's a What I CAN DO Day

Last week I was blessed with my first trip back to the box after surgery… As I walked/crutched into the box I was immediately flooded with joy!  There's something about the smell of sweat, chalk and rubber that, for me, is soothing and comforting.  I feel at home in a gym.  Not just at Oakland County CrossFit where I have a special connection, but really… any athletic facility… Like pulling on your favorite old jeans, it just feels right!

BUT THEN… As my buddies started their warm ups and moved on to the WOD I began to see all the things I could NOT do. :(

I tried to quiet my mind and focus on some ring rows.  I had no plan… no goal… so I very quickly quit.  EEEEWWWW, I hate that word… QUIT.  GIVE UP.  LOSE.  But I did in that moment.

I reverted to one of my other strengths which was sideline coaching and cheering… That was O.K. for the WOD, but once that was over I was left with my personal disappointment.

Here's the deal, I have to rely on people A LOT right now.  Andrea/Boss came and picked me up, Anette drove me home, people are going out of their way to keep me up and I let them (And Me) down.  Not that they were counting on me to get my workout done in order to make their day any better… but you know, when someone goes out of their way to do something nice for you… I don't know, I just don't want their generosity to be for some bullshit pity party of mine… :P

So, I was mentally beating myself up on the drive home and vowed to my mind-gremlins that they were done for, finished, kaput!!! I now have a standing weekly date to get a ride to the box as well as a personal mission to write and execute a specific workout.

I sat down and threw up a list of movements that I felt comfortable with and then wrote out work out #1 for this week.  The first draft looked like this:


I finished everything on the workout. I do have some tweaking to do, but it felt good to have a plan and to complete it.  I also have movements to add, as well as some creativity, but again, it felt good to have a plan and to walk in the gym and keep my eye on the list of things I COULD do instead of the wall balls and burpees that I could not do with my friends… ("with friends" being the ultimate desire, cuz lets face it I EFFING HATE WALL BALLS).  ;)

Here's something interesting… I could not do a lot of the stretching because the pain at the surgery sight was way too intense… Stretching will be limited to upper body for a while longer.

Besides a physical outlet I have been reading up on some of the best healing foods.  Now, since it is such a chore for me to prepare food, my first choice of healing foods are the AMAZING, GENEROUS, KIND, TASTY dishes that my friends have been bringing me!!!

Chicken Shack from Lisa B.
Homemade Spaghetti AND Sloppy Joe's from Rob C.
Mushroom Chicken AND Taco Night  from Joyce F.
Creamy Chicken Bake from Katie F.
Lasagna from the Haddads
Pizza Lunch with Bailey and Freaky H.
Chicken Spaghetti from Dana S.
White Bean Chicken Chilli from Kelly C.
Broadway Grill lunch with Carol G.
Salmon Spinach salad lunch with Joe C.

This is my first line of Thank You's… I may even write out old school cards… but I have to admit I'm a bit of a procrastinator in that regard, HOWEVER, I PROMISE I AM NO LESS GRATEFUL!!! 
I AM SO THANKFUL AND FEEL SO LOVED!!!
(Except this one day when my soon-to-be ex-husband ate the food that was prepared for me and left me with nothing to eat… I thought that was a pretty dick move even for someone who's divorcing me…{of course this is a dick move on my part, being a tattle tale… Please forgive me, I'm still working on my issues}  LOOK, I don't mind sharing and he had the food for dinner the night before, but he took the rest for lunch and left me with nothing to eat… I just don't get it).  But I can't let the actions of one person overshadow the love and grace of so much good in my life!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

Back to nourishing foods after surgery
Connective Tissue Healing:                                                                                                                 
      "Healing after surgery may often require special support for connective tissue, which will have to be regenerated for complete healing.There's research evidence to support a focus on four vitamins when connective tissue healing is required, and those four vitamins are: vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin A, and the B-complex vitamins. You'll be covering the bases well in this situation if you emphasize green leafy vegetables in your diet.    
     In post-surgery healing, collagen proteins can become an especially important part of connective tissue repair."


I will be filling my basket with some of these foods this week:

  • Kale, Spinach, Asparagus (help in the production of collagen; also helps body use this protein more effectively)
  • Garlic (sulfur for collagen/contains lipoid acid & taurine, for rebuilding damaged collagen fibers)
  • Tuna & Salmon (protein + omega 3's)
  • Red Peppers (contain plenty of antioxidants…promotes collagen)
  • AND CHOCOLATE (because it makes me happy and happiness heals)!  
****(6 Foods that Enhance Collagen Production)

I could keep rambling on but it took me 5 minutes to read to this line… If you're like me you stopped being interested 2 minutes ago… HAHA :)

So here's a few adventure pics from this week and I'll see you next time!!! If you're getting a kick out of this, please share or comment!  Love ya friends!!! 

STAY STRONG. 
STAY HEALTHY. 
HELP EACH OTHER.






Sometimes I have a hard time sitting still… So Bubby spots my L-Sits on crutches :)



Internal and external rotation work with the bands… It's a What I Can Do movement!!!



Jacob's Senior Homecoming with his sweet friend and Jimmy John's colleague






No comments:

Post a Comment